Surgery is popularly known as metabolic surgery or bariatric surgery. It is sometimes used as a treatment of obese people. The surgery can help the people significantly lose weight and improve many obesity related conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure. As this is a major surgery, in most cases this surgery is prescribed when all treatments went fail black weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise.
Criteria for weight loss surgery:
Weight loss surgery is prescribed if the people meet certain criteria. These includes:
- If you have a body mass index BMI of 40 or more and an obesity rated condition.
- If you agree to long term follow up after surgery.
- If you have tried all the other weight loss methods like dieting and exercise.
- If you want to agree to follow the rules of Healthy lifestyle.
If you agree with these criteria, weight loss surgery may be an option for you. But for these surgery, you should consult with your doctor.
Types of weight loss surgery:
There are several types of weight loss surgery. The most common surgery are:
- Gastric band
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
In gastric band surgery a band is placed around the stomach and as a result you cannot need to eat much foods. In gastric bypass surgery, top part of the stomach is joined to the small intestine. In the Case you will feel less hungry and your intestine will not absorb much calories. In the third case, some of the stomach is removed and as a result you not eat as you could before.
All these operations and surgeries can help you to reduce your weight significantly but merits and demerits both. If you are really really feel the necessity you should talk to your surgeon they will decide which one is best for you.
Demerits and side effects of the surgery:
I don’t inspire you to have the surgery because weight loss surgery has a number of side effects. Weight loss surgery following risk of complications.
Complications of Weight Loss Surgery:
- You may not get enough vitamins and minerals from your diet.
- You may need to take food supplements for the rest of your life after surgery.
- In any time human need to have other surgery to excess fold of skin.
- Stone can be formed in gallbladder.
- Sometimes it has been seen that gastric band slipped out and food leaked from the joint.
Lifestyle After weight loss surgery:
After weight loss surgery a Healthy lifestyle should be formed. Because weight loss surgery can give you a dramatic weight loss but it is not a permanent solution for your obesity. You need to make a commitment to you to avoid all the bad habits of eating unhygienic and healthy foods.
- Although you will take liquid or soft food for few days after weight loss surgery, you will gradually start taking normal healthy food and obviously a balanced food habit should be formed.
- Regular physical exercise is important for you. In this case walking can be very helpful. Your surgeon will prescribe you an exercise plan and continue it for life.
- You need to attend regular follow up appointments to check up how things are going after weight loss surgery.